All visitors require a visa before travelling to Bhutan (except those from India, Bangladesh and the Maldives, for whom the relevant processes and fees are outlined separately below).
As part of the visa application process, you will be required to pay the Sustainable Development Fee (SDF) of US$200 per day (per adult; concessionary rates apply for children).
For all visitors except those from India, the SDF is US$200 per person, per night. For guests from India the SDF is 1,200 ngultrum, or the equivalent amount in Indian rupees, per person, per night.
Children aged 6 to 12 at the time of travel receive a 50% concessionary discount on their SDF. Those aged 5 or younger are exempt.
Day visitors to the Bhutanese towns bordering India are also exempt from paying the SDF until they reach a point designated by the Bhutanese government. A non-refundable, one-off visa application fee of US$40 is also payable. We can help you to apply visa on your behalf.
The minimum daily package covers the following services.
- A minimum of 3 star accommodation (4 & 5 star may require an additional premium).
- All three meals.
- Sustainable Development Fee ( SDF )
- A licensed Bhutanese tour guide for the extent of your stay.
- All internal transport (excluding internal flights).
- Airport pick-up and drop.
- Camping equipment and haulage for trekking tours.
- All internal taxes and charges.
- A Sustainable Development Fee (SDF) of US$ 200. This fee goes towards free education, free healthcare, poverty alleviation, along with the building of infrastructure.
The minimum daily package for tourists travelling in a group of 3 persons or more is as follows:
- USD $200 per person per night for the months of January, February, June, July, August, and December.
- USD $250 per person per night for the months of March, April, May, September, October, and November.
These rates are applicable per tourist per night halt in Bhutan.
On the day of departure, the ‘local agents’ host obligation shall be limited to providing breakfast only and any extra requirements shall be payable on usage basis.
The list of hotels and lodges approved to provide accommodations are all listed on the website.
The Royal Government of Bhutan sets minimum selling prices for packages to Bhutan. These must be paid in US dollars prior to arrival in Bhutan.